Window and door safety tips
- Close and lock windows.
- Position beds and other furniture away from windows.
- Keep blinds, cords, drapes, etc. out of children’s reach.
- Consider installing window opening control devices or window guards.
- Keep patio doors, storm doors and entrance doors locked.
- Consider window placement when landscaping your home. Plant shrubs under windows.
- Develop a family escape plan.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are in working condition.
- Don't leave young children unsupervised.
- Don't depend on insect screens to keep children from falling out of windows.
- Don't apply energy-efficient films and coverings to windows designated in your family emergency plan as escape or rescue windows.
- Don't paint, nail or weatherstrip windows shut.
- Don't forget about window and door safety when making repairs to the interior or exterior of your home.
Out of reach
Have a plan
Know your exits
Maintenance & security
Don't paint shut
Repair broken parts
General window & door safety
- Choose safety glass, such as tempered glass, as an extra precaution for windows and doors in potentially hazardous locations. Upon impact, safety glass breaks into small pieces rather than large, sharp pieces.
- Keep children’s play away from windows and all doors, including patio doors, storm doors and entrance doors. Falling through the glass can cause serious injury.
- If patio doors have access to a swimming pool, install a four-sided fence around your pool. Consider equipping your patio door with an alarm that sounds immediately after the door is opened. Consult the local building code requirements in your area. In many states, alarms of this type are required.
Consult your local building code, fire and police departments regarding general home safety, fire and security tips.
For more home safety tips and information, visit www.nsc.org.
If you would like a copy of our window and home safety tips brochure, more resource information, details about how to obtain warning labels for the insect screens in your home or information about opening control devices for your Andersen products, please email LOFK@andersencorp.com.