Modern windows not only have the power to improve your home’s curb appeal, they can also transform the way you feel living inside it — bringing in more light and calling attention to outdoor views. We’ve pulled together this cheat sheet to walk you through how to pick modern windows for your home. Whether you want to create a totally modern look, or just give your traditional home a bit of an update, we’ll help you get the details just right — let’s get started!
How to pick modern windows for your home
What makes a window modern?
Simply put — “less is more.” Modern windows have thinner frames and less ornamentation, which maximizes the glass bringing in light and emphasizing views. Here are some other factors that can contribute to creating a modern look:
- grilles (or lack thereof),
- trim color (think: black or natural wood),
- window size (bigger is better) and
- window placement (beginning at the floor).
Modern window styles
Our go-to modern window styles are casement, gliding and picture windows.
- Casement windows are vertical and hinged on the side, like a door. They’re often featured above kitchen sinks, because their cranks make them easy to open — even at a stretch. You’ll find these available in 100, 400, A- and E-Series.
- Gliding windows slide side-to-side, just like a gliding patio door. They fit perfectly in tight spaces, like between your house and your deck, where an outward-opening window might pose a hazard. Find them in 100, 200, 400 and E-Series.
- Picture windows are larger in scale and don’t open. You’ll often find them used as statement windows in living rooms. Find them available in every window series we offer.
Think of these styles as easy starting points for creating a modern look but don’t feel limited to only these styles. Any window can be made to look more modern — let us explain.
Grilles or no grilles?
Window size & placement
Window color & wood type
The easiest-ever contemporary options
Window shopping can be overwhelming, especially if new windows are part of a larger renovation or new build. If you want an easy place to start in creating a contemporary look, consider the following options.
- Our most popular 400 Series has a brand-new contemporary option that gives an even sleeker profile to casement, awning and picture windows, and it’s available in black.
- Our budget-friendly 100 Series also features sleek lines. Frames are flat and unobtrusive creating a clean look.
- Our most customizable E-Series windows feature thinner frames and minimalist profiles.
Ready for the next step? Start making your dream home a reality with our easy window design tool, which allows you to play around with different window styles, finishes, placements and more.