Seeing the Light
One of the most effective ways for improving the interior environment and occupant health is by strengthening connections to the outside.
Sunlight naturally reduces mildew and mold growth while providing numerous health and wellness benefits:
- Boosts vitamin D storage, an essential mineral important for absorbing calcium and promoting bone growth, as well as helping prevent certain types of cancers, heart disease, depression, and weight gain.
- Promotes higher productivity. According to a Swiss Federal Institute of Technology study, employees working in artificial light recorded lower levels of energy than those working in natural light.
- Reduces eye strain. Natural light helps the eye produce dopamine, an aid in healthy eye development, which has been shown to lower the risk of nearsightedness in children and young adults.
- Promotes sleep. A half hour of sunlight received during the day, especially early in the morning has been shown to have a direct impact on how much sleep a person gets at night. Artificial lighting on the other hand has little to no similar effect.
- Improves mood and energy. Multiple studies have confirmed that exposure to sunlight increases levels of serotonin in the brain and is proven to regulate some disorders, including Seasonal Affective Disorder.